Saturday 9 June 2012

City of Bones REVIEW

City of Bones (The Mortal Instruments, #1)When fifteen-year-old Clary Fray heads out to the Pandemonium Club in New York City, she hardly expects to witness a murder -- much less a murder committed by three teenagers covered with strange tattoos and brandishing bizarre weapons. Then the body disappears into thin air. It's hard to call the police when the murderers are invisible to everyone else and when there is nothing -- not even a smear of blood -- to show that a boy has died. Or was he a boy?
This is Clary's first meeting with the Shadowhunters, warriors dedicated to ridding the earth of demons. It's also her first encounter with Jace, a Shadowhunter who looks a little like an angel and acts a lot like a jerk. Within twenty-four hours Clary is pulled into Jace's world with a vengeance, when her mother disappears and Clary herself is attacked by a demon. But why would demons be interested in ordinary mundanes like Clary and her mother? And how did Clary suddenly get the Sight? The Shadowhunters would like to know. . . . 
Exotic and gritty, exhilarating and gripping, Cassandra Clare's ferociously entertaining fantasy takes readers on a wild ride.


                                         .5
                                         3.5 Smokin' Kisses        
                                                                                            
                
ahh finally! i'm one of the LAST human beings to read this, and I couldn't tell you how glad i was to finally get a chance to fall in love with the novel that everyones been talking about!
So with this anticipation, I started reading and boy was I suprised. and not suprised because it was amazingly amazing, but because..... it wasn't all that amazing. I mean, it wasn't bad, it was good enough for me to read the rest of the series- but it just wasn't what I expected. I expected phenomenal characters and an  exceptional plot - but all I got was medicore at best. I was intrigued, but not amazed. I think there might be something wrong with me.... if this book is so amazing, WHY did I not fall in love? I liked Jace & I liked Clary, they were very interesting to read about, but I felt that the POV kinda jumped all over the place. and at times I couldn't tell who's feelings was being discribed. not good.
I hated Simon- he was probebly my least favorite character in the novel. Everytime he said something I couldn't help but clench my fists- I wishh clare made him a bit less annoying.

Clare had good setting discription, which gets major points from me & also complex characters, another win-however, it's something about the way she write that makes the novel ....bland.it doesn't have that edge-of-your-seat thing that every reader loves! why, clare, why! the thing that disappoints me the most is that she actually has a GOOD plot and exceptonal characters... if only she would have  implied them more it would have been a way better novel! even the way trhe characters talk is really plain and lacks emotions, but the novel does get better towards the end.

All in all, the novel kept my attention well but, not well enough. Isn't that confusing? it was a GOOD story and a great read- but not something I thought about after finishing.
truly disappointed, I really wanted to like this :-(
Thank god the next one in the series is way better! review for City of Ashes to come!

4 comments:

  1. Don't worry. You're the second to last person to read this book. I'm last because I still haven't had the chance to try it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. the series is worth a read! its just that the first one isn't the best, but city of ashes & city of glass are pretty great ! :D

      Delete
  2. I just picked up City of Ashes. My mind was in a completely different universe at the time so I didn't realize that there was a book before it.

    I join you on being one of the last humans to read this series. So *high five*

    Anyway. You've got yourself a new follower!

    You can find me here at http://auggie-talk.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hahahaha, welll city of ashes is way better than this one, i assure you!
      yesss *high five* , we are the oddest human beings out there my friend....
      thanks for the follow. I followed back!

      Delete