Saturday 10 November 2012

Review: Hooked

HookedName: Hooked

Author: Liz Fichera

Expected Publication: January 31st 2013, Harlequin Teen

Source: Ebook from the Author
                           ------
Get hooked on a girl named Fred... 


HE said: Fred Oday is a girl? Why is a girl taking my best friends spot on the boy's varsity golf team?

SHE said: Can I seriously do this? Can I join the boys' team? Everyone will hate me - especially Ryan Berenger.

HE said: Coach expects me to partner with Fred on the green? That is crazy bad. Fred's got to go - especially now that I can't get her out of my head. So not happening.

SHE said: Ryan can be nice, when he's not being a jerk. Like the time he carried my golf bag. But the girl from the rez and the spoiled rich boy from the suburbs? So not happening.


But there's no denying that things are happening as the girl with the killer swing takes on the boy with the killer smile...

Fred takes on Ryan on the Boys Varsity golf team in a game of love and war. 
A Rich white boy with the not-so-perfect life, and an outcast Native American with nothing but her swing to keep her company... what might bring them together, you ask? A couple of golf balls, some green grass and an attraction that shatters both of their beliefs. 

I enjoyed Fichera's portrayal of the two protagonists. She makes it clear as water that Fred and Ryan are on opposite sides of the planet... Yet watching them come together by the end was strikingly beautiful. I also loved the fact that the plot revolved around golf. golf! Not hockey or football, but golf. It's original and definitely keeps you tuned in. 
This book is definitely intriguing, and had me wondering what the hell was going to happen next until I was on the last page.
Fred doesn't believe that she belongs anywhere-- and definitely not with Ryan. It was almost heart breaking to witness her on the sidelines. She was discriminated against just because she was Indian, which made me shake my head in reality because I know that it unfortunately does happen in our world today. 
But then there were times when my chest would swell with pride, because the chick kicks some serious ass! She showed up all the boys on the team, especially Ryan, even while she was falling for him. She wasn't a petty little girl that needed a boy to save her, but strong and independent ,with a killer swing that was feared on the course. Go Fred!
It was also interesting to get into both of their heads at the same time. I appreciated the scene replay's from the different perspectives, which didn't leave me wondering what the other was thinking at a particular moment. I could practically feel their emotions seeping through my IPhone screen! When you feel it in your gut, then it's a good story guys. 
Also throwing the families into the plot made it so much better. You have the golf, a bittersweet romance, crumbling families and the drama in between to keep your mind reeling while you greedily anticipate what's going to happen on the next page. It was hard to get to work!

However, I would have to say that Fichera did tend to over or under play certain emotional scenes that left me wondering why that would actually happen. They would either overreact or under react to certain situations that almost made it unbelievable or childish. 

Overall This book was a great read. For me, It wasn't a gawker, but it kept me intrigued. I would say it falls somewhere between Pushing the Limits & Perfect Chemistry, which are very similar to Hooked. When you're used to big series' like me, a tiny stand alone book like this seems so bare, without the world building, character building etc. But like I said, this is a stand alone. It isn't meant to have a huge back story or enormous world building-- it is what it is: a light, fun read. You'll awe at the romance and your heart may speed up a little at the climax. You'll shout at the book a few times and sigh in relief at the ending. that's exactly what this book is, which makes it great in it's own way.

It's definitely a book that was worth the read!

Watch out for HOOKED from HarlequinTEEN this January wherever books are sold!



Photobucket

2 comments:

  1. Great review Rola. I've never read a book about golf before, but I'm glad Fred is a tough, self-assured heroine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really? Golf? I think it is definitely safe to say that I have yet to read a golf book. Good to hear that the book wasn't as boring as the sport. I love a good standalone in a sea of series that take so much dedication to get through. I always find a standalone feels like a breath of fresh air. Great review chick!

    ReplyDelete