Thursday 2 August 2012

Review: OBSIDIAN

Obsidian (Lux, #1)Starting over sucks.
When we moved to West Virginia right before my senior year, I'd pretty much resigned myself to thick accents, dodgy internet access, and a whole lot of boring.... until I spotted my hot neighbor, with his looming height and eerie green eyes. Things were looking up.

And then he opened his mouth.

Daemon is infuriating. Arrogant. Stab-worthy. We do not get along. At all. But when a stranger attacks me and Daemon literally freezes time with a wave of his hand, well, something...unexpected happens.

The hot alien living next door marks me.

You heard me. Alien. Turns out Daemon and his sister have a galaxy of enemies wanting to steal their abilities, and Daemon's touch has me lit up like the Vegas Strip. The only way I'm getting out of this alive is by sticking close to Daemon until my alien mojo fades.
If I don't kill him first, that is.


                    
                                           5 Smokin' Kisses

***

Oh.My.God. I'm not lying when I say that this novel blew away. I seriously killed this novel in one day. It was that good. To be honest, the only reason I read this book was because I was fricken curious as HELL as how come so many bloggers/ GD users liked it. Just about everyone on GD worships this book (Half of my friends list is people with icons of this novel... creeepy? kinda.) I had to find out why. When I first noticed everyone going crazy for it, I read the synopsis & thought meh. I'd run into reviews (all 4-5 stars), or chats, or its cover as profile pictures and anything else you could imagine for the longest time, until I finally gave in to the urge and went to my nearest bookstore 2 days ago & picked it up. damn. I am SO glad I did. The 5 Star Ratings & Hype is extremely well deserved, Obsidian was perfect.

Obsidian will have you on the edge of your seat from page one, and finishing the novel in one sitting. It will drive you crazy to put it down for dinner because your mother will be yelling at you to not read at the dinner table, so you'll settle for being less than full, just to get back to reading. I promise you that.

Probably my Favorite-ist thing about the entire novel.. other than the romance, kick-ass characters & villians, and Feel.... ORIGINALITYYYY!!! [[[hurraayyyy]]]
Aliens. This book is about a human & aliens. It may sound lame, but I kid you not- Armentrout is a genious. Vampires? so 2 years ago. Fallen Angels? SO 3 months ago. Hunger games? SO last month. Aliens? Sexy. The Alien topic is sort of a second class element in the paranormal book world, therefore, armentrout could virtually do anything with the history, powers etc. and make it hella believable. The way she creates their history, their true form , their enemies... it's all so fresh. intruiging. I loved every minute of it. I mean cmon, Sexy glowing aliens that dont use UFO's , but travel at light speed and can bend light to freeze time, become invisible, shapeshift, move things and did I mention sexy?? ugh. so good.

Before reading this novel, I had read the book The Forsaken , which I was extremely excited for.... and let me down a whole bunch. The main reason I wasn't too crazy about it was insta-relationship between the two main characters. They literly knew eachother for 2 days, and confessed their love for one another........ [[[[Killll Meeee]]]]

And then after finishing Obsidian.....

It was literly perfect. It definitly made up for the horrible character romance in The Forsaken. Daemon & Katy were what I would call The almost perfect character romance. the chemistry was AMAZING. They start off with physical attraction... Daemon is a jerk... they hate eachother... he makes her cry... they piss eachother off.... He saves her life.... Love/hate....Jealousy....kissing..... Perfect Love.
It's not rushed in to, but built slowly throughout the whole novel. The tension between the two characters is relevent, but doesnt get confessed till near the end. A.Breathe.Of.Fresh.Air. [[Thank you Armentrout]]

The characters were also perfect. Each one had their own distinct personality, and was built to perfection. Armentrout didn't put all of her awesome character skills in just Katy & Daemon... Dee, Ash, simon, lesa, carissa, Katy's mom, The Aru... All perfect.
I absoloutly Loved Dee. She was one of my favorites, other than Katy & Daemon. I loved her bubbly personality, but also how she cared for Katy & stood up for her when none of the authors would.

The plot was intruiging, overall. I felt so much pity for Katy throughout the whole novel. I wanted to strangle Daemon & Ash for her so badly. I even pitied Dee, because she tried so hard to be friends with Katy, despite her nature- but it always seemed to backlash on her. Armentrout draws you into her world, and you will feel like you are directly in the body of the characters. Your heart will clench for Katy and Dee, You'll get butterflies when she's with Daemon,  You'll grit your teeth when Daemon's a jerk & your heart will melt when Daemon & Katy give in to each other. Katy's emotions become yours- I have been searching for another novel that could give me this feeling... only a few books can. I am now adding Obsidian to that very short list.

All in all, dont give it second thoughts as I had foolishly done. Give in to the urge. Get into your vehicle. Go to the bookstore. Purchase Obsidian. read. 
Trust me on this one.

Love you guys!!
Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment