Thursday 30 August 2012

Review: Girl Of Nightmares

Girl of Nightmares (Anna, #2)It's been months since the ghost of Anna Korlov opened a door to Hell in her basement and disappeared into it, but ghost-hunter Cas Lowood can't move on.

His friends remind him that Anna sacrificed herself so that Cas could live—not walk around half dead. He knows they're right, but in Cas's eyes, no living girl he meets can compare to the dead girl he fell in love with.

Now he's seeing Anna everywhere: sometimes when he's asleep and sometimes in waking nightmares. But something is very wrong...these aren't just daydreams. Anna seems tortured, torn apart in new and ever more gruesome ways every time she appears.

Cas doesn't know what happened to Anna when she disappeared into Hell, but he knows she doesn't deserve whatever is happening to her now. Anna saved Cas more than once, and it's time for him to return the favor.




                                   
                                                    4 Smokin' Kisses
 
***

“She crossed over death to call me. I crossed through Hell to find her.”

I like Cas. I really do. He's one of the few main guys who's perspective I truly enjoy reading from. He's Rash, Loving, stupid, messed up & a guy. I love being in his head & feeling what he feels; Blake does such a great job of creating a believable male character, that kicks dead-butt & is a softy for his dead girlfriend.

Girl Of Nightmares Mainly revolves around Cas being haunted by dreams & illusions of Anna being tortured in hell with the Obeahman & is determined to get her back no matter what the price.

As usual, Blake is able to draw you in from the first chapter. The events are exciting, Caramel & Thomas still possess the great personality we love- the only thing missing is Anna, which we dont get too much of till the end.
I really liked GON, but I think I liked ADIB a little more. ADIB was fresh & raw, and watching Cas' feelings for Anna develop was amazing. GON was great, but the constant haunting feelings he got from Anna being in Hell didn't have the same affect as falling in love with her did.

The action/plot is kind of dull until they head out for the Order, but it's still interesting enough to read on and not be bored. Thomas was still interesting, and I loved the way he had Cas' back, even when he lost Caramel. He was the only understanding one about Cas' feelings for Anna & why he had to bring her back. It was slightly annoying the way everyone kept telling him "leave her, leave her" LIKE NO. Therefore, I loved Thomas for doing the exact opposite.
Caramel was on my nerves quite a bit, but came through like the good friend that she when it all came down to it. She wouldn't abandon Cas nor Thomas, even when she had initially been a Queen B & left their group. The ghost buster 3 continued their mission together 'till the end.
We get introduced to a new character that plays a major role, Jestine, and I quite like her. She's a fiesty girl that at first appears untrustworthy, but proves to be loyal to Cas in the end. She kind of reminds me of myself.... no wonder I like her ;)
I love Anna even though we didn't get to see much of her, which is partially why I liked ADIB better, but the parts that she did appear, I couldn't help but admire her for her bravery. She took a double death & an eternity of torture & pain for Cas & his friends. Cas x Anna is honestly one of the best YA couples.

I really got into the novel near the end, I loved the way Jestine came through for Cas, even when I had my doubts and thought that She would Kill him in Hell. Cas & Anna's reuinion almost made me cry & the end result was borderline crying. If I wasn't shocked, those tears would have defenitly spilled. I wish that the ending turned out different, but I get why Blake finished it this way, also enabling her to finish the series here and not continue with sequels. the ADIB series is great with just 2 books, I think anymore would never be able to live up to the expectations. I was mainly upset with the fact that Cas & Anna's encounter/reuinion with one another was so brief. I feel like it should have been longer than a couple of chapters long but ... meh. I appreciate Blakes content-ness [ new word? ] with the 2 book series, and doesn't just drag on her books for the money & publicity like alot of other authors do. The series is crisp & fresh, and stays that way without dulling it out with any more books.

I am sad that Cas & Anna's story had to come to an end, but it was a bittersweet ending that tied up the already tragic series perfectly.

Can't wait to see what Blake comes up with next!
Photobucket

2 comments:

  1. Great review and I agree. I liked Girl of Nightmares but I loved Anna Dressed In Blood. It is a good story in its own right, but when compared to Anna it kinda falls short. I agree with you about the end. I would have like a little bit more and it left me crying like a baby!

    Teresa @ Readers Live A Thousand Lives

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great review, Rola! I'm juuuust finishing this one now and it's nothing compared to Anna. I'm actually finding it a little slow -- and I have about a hundred pages left. Ah well -- still happy to have read it!

    I hear Kendare has a new book coming out next year that has something to do with Greek Mythology. Should be good!

    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete