Thursday 17 May 2012

The fault in our stars REVIEW

The Fault in Our StarsDiagnosed with Stage IV thyroid cancer at 13, Hazel was prepared to die until, at 14, a medical miracle shrunk the tumours in her lungs... for now.

Two years post-miracle, sixteen-year-old Hazel is post-everything else, too; post-high school, post-friends and post-normalcy. And even though she could live for a long time (whatever that means), Hazel lives tethered to an oxygen tank, the tumours tenuously kept at bay with a constant chemical assault.

Enter Augustus Waters. A match made at cancer kid support group, Augustus is gorgeous, in remission, and shockingly to her, interested in Hazel. Being with Augustus is both an unexpected destination and a long-needed journey, pushing Hazel to re-examine how sickness and health, life and death, will define her and the legacy that everyone leaves behind





                                      
                                                    4 Smokin' Kisses

                     
After reading many endless reviews and hearing the eternal hype for this novel, i finally had the pleasure of read it when one of my good friends and I decided to do a favorite novel exchange; her copy of "The Fault in our Stars" for my copy of "Beautiful Creatures". And I must admit, it was really good. I finished it in one night, so that speaks for something- I can see what the hype is about. This novel defenitly tugs the heart strings, and leaves you with a bitter taste in your mouth- or maybe a salty one if you've been crying.

Both Hazel Grace and Augustus Waters are pleasurable characters to read about. this novel is actually intelligent. the way the text is put together and superior vocab is used, gives the novel an edge that other novels dont. and suprisingly, it doesnt get annoying.

Hazel is Diagnosed with Stage IV thyroid cancer & Augustus is in remission from his cancer. their story isn't what readers would call "pity cancer kid love", its this sophisticated, flourishing, delicate thing that's untouchable. the way they finish each others sentances & complete each others thoughts... its quite beautiful in the uncheesiest way possible.
I wasnt to fond of isaac, he was kind of annoying. he didnt have a huge role in the novel so either way he didnt affect the wonderful story line one bit.
OH THE STORY LINE ! what a lovely one it is indeed. i first thought it sounded stupid; two cancer patients searching for their favorite author and fall in love while on that journey? retarded.
but no. i must say the "dont knock it till ya try it" aspect works perfectly here. the plot is perfect & original which makes this novel all the more lovable.
defenitly recommended for anyone tired of YA or in the mood to fill a bucket full of tears. either way it's a great read !

Happy reading!

4 comments:

  1. I agree with you on this one! Isaac wasn't my favorite, either, esp not in the beginning. I wanted to gag with the whole PDA thing. He didn't seem to have much depth to him either, which may be because he was just a minor character.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank goodness hazel and Augustus make up for him hehe they're such good characters

      Delete
    2. I so agree! John Green is great at characterization, at least with his MCs. He always gives them these little quirks that really set them apart and make you fall in love.

      Delete
  2. HELLO FRIENDS AM LINDA COLLINS FROM CANADA MY BEST DECISSION I MADE ON HOW TO GET MY MARRIAGE BACK once when i went to Africa in February this year on a business summit. I meant a man who’s name is {Prophet Harry} he is really powerful and could help pray to bring back one’s gone, lost, misbehaving lover and prayers for good job and financial blessings .I’m now happy & a living testimony cos the man i had wanted to marry left me 3 weeks before our wedding and my life was upside down cos our relationship has been on for 3years. I really loved him, but his mother was against us and he had no good paying job. So when i met this {Prophet Harry}, i told him what happened and explained the situation of things to him. At first i was undecided, skeptical and doubtful, but i just gave it a try. And in 3 days when i returned to Canada, my boyfriend (now husband) called me by himself and came to me apologizing that everything had been settled with his mom and family and he got a new job interview so we should get married. I didn’t believe it cos the {Prophet Harry} only asked for my name and my boyfriends name and all i wanted him to do. Well we are happily married now and we are expecting our little kid, and my husband also got the new job and our lives became much better. His email is prophetharryprayerhome@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete