Thursday 3 January 2013

Review: Days of Blood and Starlight


Days of Blood & Starlight (Daughter of Smoke and Bone, #2)
Name: Days of Blood and Starlight

Author: Laini Taylor

Publication: November 6th, 2012

Source: HBG Canada


Once upon a time, an angel and a devil fell in love and dared to imagine a world free of bloodshed and war.

This is not that world.


Art student and monster's apprentice Karou finally has the answers she has always sought. She knows who she is—and what she is. But with this knowledge comes another truth she would give anything to undo: She loved the enemy and he betrayed her, and a world suffered for it.

In this stunning sequel to the highly acclaimed Daughter of Smoke & Bone, Karou must decide how far she'll go to avenge her people. Filled with heartbreak and beauty, secrets and impossible choices, Days of Blood & Starlight finds Karou and Akiva on opposing sides as an age-old war stirs back to life.

While Karou and her allies build a monstrous army in a land of dust and starlight, Akiva wages a different sort of battle: a battle for redemption. For hope.

But can any hope be salvaged from the ashes of their broken dream?


----

I read this a little over a month ago but forgot to review it... but better late than never right?

Wow, another master piece by Taylor. It's something about the way she writes that's just so damn intriguing. The way she pieces together her words is juts so hypnotizing, I really think it makes me like her books that much more.

I'm surprised that I liked this one more than the first installment, Daughter of Smoke & Bone, seeing as I usually like the first book of a series the best-- but this one definitely took the cake. watching the conflicting emotions playing out on Karou & Akiva's part has a way of really putting the reader on edge. Are they going to make up? Fight? Will Akiva be able to redeem himself?
He damn well tries.
I also quite enjoyed that we got the chance to glimpse into his Liraz & Hazael's life and past. Along side Akiva, their intent and true feelings really surprised me, not something one could have guessed upon meeting them in the first book.
This one is a lot more personal. You get to meet Akiva and Karou on a far more intimate level; their feelings, past, conflicted resolutions-- putting together and prioritizing memories from a beautiful past to a horrific present. It's truly lovely.

I almost wept for Karou the entire time. What she had to endure was just plain cruel. Ugh, I hate the stupid white wolf! It killed me even more when Akiva got the wrong idea from them... even though he's a bastard, it's heart shattering.

It's hard to do justice to such a beautiful book. it's easy to fall in love with the gorgeous writing and the lyrical phrases, and exhilarating once the book really picks up.

If you haven't read this series yet, please do so! I would definitely say that DOSAB is one of the BEST books of 2012 and a sensational read.

Rating:

Happy reading all!
Photobucket

6 comments:

  1. Ehem, ehem... I started reading the first book and couldn't.... you know, finish it :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. ..... I'm going to knock you. you complain that you can't find a book that makes you feel all tingly inside, but you don't get far enough into any of the good books! :s

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Daughter of smoke and bones" has been on my wishlist for a while now! I really want to read it :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have both of these on my TBR list - why WHY is there never enough time to read everything that I want to????

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey! I nominated you for the Liebster Award! See it here:
    http://greetingsfrommiddleearth.blogspot.co.nz/2013/01/liebster-blog-award.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was also surprised to find I enjoyed this more than the first book! Daughter of Smoke & Bone was a nice read but it didn't reeeeally stand out in my mind, whereas I absolutely loved this one. There was so much tension, between Kaoru dealing with White Wolf (egh!!) and Akiva's rebellion, I never wanted to stop reading!


    By the way, I just stumbled on your blog via goodreads! :) Love your layout and reviews so far!


    - Eleanor @ La p'tite bibliothèque

    ReplyDelete